Getting the Right Type of Cover For Your Van

If you own a van and rely on it for work then you want to make sure you’ve got the right type of cover to protect you for all the risks you face.

Below are some of the most common types of van insurance you can get as well as the typical cover options you can choose from when taking out a van insurance policy.

Types of van insurance

Below are some of the different types of van insurance you can get –

  • Van courier insurance – If you use your van to work as a courier then you definitely need to get a specialised┬ácourier van insurance policy. This will not only ensure that you’re protected for road risks but will usually also include things like public liability insurance and goods in transit insurance too.
  • Personal use van insurance – If your van is mostly for personal use then you can get a regular van insurance policy. Depending on exactly how you use your van, you can tailor your policy to include the level of cover you need. For example you might want to get breakdown assistance added to your policy.
  • Van fleet insurance – If you own a fleet of vans then the best way to get them covered is by getting a van fleet insurance policy. Getting your vans insured as a fleet is a great way to save time and money.

Cover options

  • Third party – A third party only policy is the minimum level of cover you need in order to drive your van legally. It simply provides protection for other road users in the event of a crash that you’re to blame for. This is the cheapest type of cover you can get.
  • Third party, fire and theft – This includes the same level of cover for collisions but will also now cover you for damage caused by fire and theft of your van.
  • Comprehensive – A comprehensive policy will provide the most protection for your van and will cover it for all kinds of collisions, even those that you are at fault for. Fire and theft is also included in a comprehensive policy.
  • Breakdown assistance – Breakdown assistance is always a must when you drive a van for a living. You may already have it from a company such as AA or RAC but you can sometimes get it cheaper as part of your insurance.


Sand Race